MENTAL HEALTH ELEARNING
Recent research has found that eLearning is ideal for mental health education as it provides a confidential and private learning environment on this often often-stigmatized niche.
Mental Health Short Courses
Our e-learning courses are created with you in mind.
TCMA learners have full access to their course of choice upon payment for the stipulated duration. Our courses are usually updated and educators upskilled to ensure that our knowledge assets are in line with global practices and standards.
Each course varies from the full 8-module courses that are aligned to professional standards, to shorter courses that range from single module course, to bundled micro-credentialed courses.
Each module takes approximately 30 minutes to complete with the full 8-module course typically around three hours.
TCMA Mental Health Framework
Our Framework was designed with a working group of health professionals, lived experience informed advisory group, and representatives from the across healthcare, education, legal and academic sectors. The Framework outlines a set of guiding principles for clinical governance to ensure the delivery of safe and high-quality mental healthcare education.
The Framework has been established to:
- Increase mental health Awareness, Build knowledge and improve Competency levels of learners
- Propagate health promotion, prevention and early intervention across the continuum of care, including connections to care pathways
- Adopt a strengths-based approach, underpinned by positive psychology in recognition that inherent strengths and social resources can contribute to wellbeing
- Recognize the Care Model endorsed by various Governments across Africa in their Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan
- Informed by the socio-ecological model that is settings-based, enabling training to be tailored to the specific audience the training is targeting
- Ensure psychological safety is built into training
- Build mental health literacy capability of learners to support early help-seeking behaviour, reduce stigma and support inclusive and compassionate care conversations
- Support measurement of performance outcomes to evaluate of effectiveness of training and support continuous improvement in quality and safety
- Ensure strong cross sector education and health clinical leadership
- Ensure professional standards or industry recognised Frameworks are mapped to learning outcomes
Competency based education enables each learner the opportunity to move forward at their own pace in building mental health and wellbeing knowledge and skills. It provides flexibility in the learning process, allowing the learner to build inherent skills, no matter their knowledge background or mental health literacy levels.
TCMA has established set of competencies across the spectrum of mental ill-health and specific needs of the target group. Performance measurement criteria is assessed in two ways:
- TCMA Self-Efficacy Scale issued prior to commencement (pre) and end of course (post), is used to measure changes in confidence level for understanding mental ill-health and applying practical strategies to support help-seeking behaviour.
- Level of attainment of key skills and capabilities is assessed for each training module through post-training quiz questions. Training is outcomes-focused, relying more on the learner’s ability to apply knowledge, skills and abilities to the standards of performance in the TCMA Framework for mental health and wellbeing.
Our Framework levels of competency are tailored to the sector, and contextualised for the environment in which they are practiced. For example, non-clinical school and tertiary sector educators, have varied levels of skills and experience they bring to a young person’s mental health and wellbeing.
Attaining higher level of competency is also available to TCMA learners, through ongoing access to the platform and our constant quest for vital partnerships.
TCMA is also able to generate reporting on effectiveness of training and certify course participants.Engaging, thought -provoking and apt are my three words for the mental health day Webinar we just concluded. Not like anything I’ve experienced lately. I give it to the TCM Academy and the coach who handled the training. He repped them good 👍
Amina MogajiTraining Participant
The facilitator was sound, knowledgeable and relatable. I had to go googling, turns out he also had plenty work experience and I was not supprised, the mood chart provided in the seminar had helped me documents the yo-yo effect I was battling and on sending it across, I felt the academy will not revert but I was supprised when their lead counsel responded to me and gave me 20minutes of analysis time. All I can say is that they have wellbeing at the heart of their practice. Highly recommend..
Wisdom AkeogaTraining Participant
The 2022 mental health webinar has helped me and my colleagues a lot. Working from home in a tech firm is not always what it looks like but this course changed it all.
We changed our employee assistance programe provider two years ago to TCMA. This has helped us all grow because even toxicity within our work space and all the previous water cooler gossip has declined. We can’t miss the link between the entrance of this new EAP provider and hese changes. Their therapist teach with skills and practical exercises that help you become better. Will recommend them to anybody with marital and career issues. Keep going
Ajor TopmanEAP Beneficiary
My emotional, spiritual, psychological and financial wellbeing are all parts of self-care. Taking care of myself along these lines is the true definition of mental health. Words on Marble sir. Won’t forget these.
Tolani OlawoleParticipant (Fighting Emotional & Psychological Abuse)
TCMA’s Framework has been mapped against various professional standards.
Participants who complete any of our courses will be issued with a digital PDF Certificate of Completion.
The online standardized accreditation assessment includes post-course assessment of confidence levels through the 10 multiple-choice quiz questions (post) for each module. Competency is assessed based on maturity of self-assessment, in recognition that the clinical and non-clinical workforce is moving towards strengthening approaches to work effectively in mental health and wellbeing. Participants who complete any of our module courses can also do a refresher course in 1.5 years’ time, and continue to up-skill by completing micro-credentialing, depending on interest and professional requirements. Courses range from single module course, to bundled micro-courses and full 8-module courses and can be accessed through the platform.
We are designed and tailored to different industries for a bespoke training experience.